Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tragedy in Newtown, CT

26 innocent victims killed in an elementary school shooting in Connecticut on Friday. 20 of them children. One unspeakable horror.


My earlier thoughts on this tragedy have already been published on one of the other blogs that I contribute to. I don't dare repeat them here, as my initial reaction did not strike me as particularly Christlike. Or who is to say that Jesus wouldn't have reacted even more strongly or "inappropriately" than I did?

Our President's moving eulogy and reading aloud of the 26 victims' names after the Dallas Cowboys game today was both heartfelt and heartbreaking.  It brought back to mind the devastation which many of us felt when we first heard the horrific news. Yet I doubt that our greatest bewilderment, weeping, anger, and profound sorrow could begin to compare to the affected families' grief during this time.


No amount of sympathetic words or acts of kindness will bring those families back together again. Not in this life.  But to everyone involved: You will remain in my thoughts and my prayers this Christmas season.  I believe there is hope for a brighter day.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Matthew 5:4



Note to my readers:  Tonight's "Behind the Scenes: Delta Wanderland" blog will be posted Tuesday evening, with additional photos.

No comments: