Friday, December 2, 2011

Shave the Date

Before I hop on a plane to Munich, Germany tomorrow morning to check out some Bavarian castles this weekend, I’d like to declare an American holiday: December 1st marks our freedom from the tyranny of beards.

DSC_0793_edited-1.JPG November 30th was the final day of Mustache November, or “Movember,” a nationwide effort to increase awareness of prostate cancer and other male cancers. Throughout Movember, guys could also enlist sponsors as they grew out ridiculous looking mustaches- as opposed to the socially acceptable kind?- to raise money for prostate cancer research.

I suppose Movember needn’t be restricted to men, but any woman sporting a Movember mustache in her profile picture is just BEGGING to be blocked on Facebook.

Alas, a lack of personal conviction quickly deteriorated my most Movember of intentions... IMAG1464.jpg ...into an observation of the increasingly popular “No Shave November” movement this year. The results were significantly less noble, but only slightly less silly looking.



DSC_0797_edited-1.JPG In the midst of removing my proverbial Beard Goggles yesterday, I posed for some deliciously down-home pictures of what could have been. I think the trucker hat and the "Gun Show" display really sell it, no? But don’t laugh… I took time away from my busy schedule of shotgun blasting cans in my backyard for this photo session.



DSC_0807_edited-1.JPG Lena, my insanely cute 2 ½ month old daughter, barely recognized me clean shaven yesterday. After all, I’d been growing a beard for nearly half of her life.


DSC_0712.JPG Kathy had been holding out hope for a long term facial hair commitment, so I waited until she was distracted with Lena to unleash the razor. Everything went according to plan... Who could possibly resist being immersed in Lena’s wide eyed charms?


By the way, shame on anyone who read the title of this BlogSpot post in hopes of nabbing ideas for a surprise romantic evening. Trust me, this will not end well.

Stick with the roses, Romeo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garth, I just finished reading your "Shave the Date" blog entry. I got a good laugh from your subject material! And, of course, I LOVE the photos you posted of Lena. Love, Vive

Garth Hamilton said...

Thanks, Vive! It's nice to have that whole facial hair thing behind me. Lena and Kathy were WAY more into it than I was.