Monday, October 14, 2013

Banks Lake heats up!


...Continuing our story from the previous post, Banks Lake camping, Take 31:


Ok, so this post is a day late.  I take the blame, but y’all should see the crazy hours I’ve been working at Delta and on-set at my shoots!

Daddy hangs on for dear life.  Believe it or not: Unlike my crash pic at the top of Part 1, this was NOT a wipeout!  I actually landed this one.  But just wait… more of our spectacular near-wipeout photos are included below!



Last month's 31st annual Banks Lake camping and boating trip was off to a good start.  Click here for the link to Part 1.  The September weather may not have been the warmest we’ve had at Banks Lake, but things heated up on the second day.


Uncle Mike and Aunt Summer (a.k.a. Country Mike and Aunt Tum Tum) Sorensen drove all day to join us at Banks Lake that afternoon.  The Sorensen love birds took up residence in the RV with my parents, while us three Junior Hamiltons Garth, Kathy, and Lena moved out to our tent site.

They call it car camping for a reason.  Our tent site was just a few feet away from our parking spot.



As mentioned in the previous post, that morning’s wakeboarding and tubing were only a warmup.


Lena puts the boat out into Banks Lake



"Grandpa Bo, can you untie the boat and push us off from the dock?"




Garth and Mike test out the water







And the water sports continue with Summer, Mike, and Garth!




Credit: The two photos above are from my parents’ camera






Above: Nope, STILL not wipeouts!  Every run inevitably ended with me slamming into the drink, but the top photo and two pics included here were my survivable ones.  With the exception of my tubing crash picture from the previous post, most of my actual wipeout pics were nothing but blurry white water and fury.




The Birthday Party



The fam threw a belated birthday party for me in the RV that night.  It was much more than I deserved.  Chili dogs were served before I was serenaded and loaded up with birthday presents.






Birthday presents: Lena used her gift unwrapping skills to bail Daddy out.  How else would those new theology books, Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray set, and Americana music CDs be unveiled?




The after party: Hooligans at Couleegan’s!





Credit: Above photo from Summer’s Facebook page

Continuing tradition, we kids headed to “downtown” Coulee City (with some of the most ironic air quotes ever used) for the after party.  Couleegan’s boasts the hottest (read: only) live music and dancing for miles and miles away.

Considering Coulee’s remote location in eastern Washington, Couleegan’s is actually a surprisingly fun and lively place to rock on a Saturday night!

**********


Choppy water on the lake limited our boating activities the next morning.  Staying upright on the wakeboard required superhuman endurance, and tubing was a blast but downright painful.


No matter.  Banks Lake had beckoned us back for a 31st year, and we answered the call.  Let’s bring back the smoother water and hotter weather next year!

The Hamilton and Sorensen family squint into the sun and say our goodbyes at Banks Lake.

See you next summer at Banks for Year #32!



Coming soon on Garth’s Blog…


Lena finally becomes a world traveler!

3 comments:

Susan Hamilton said...

These great photos bring back the fun memories of our family trip last summer! Thanks for the big smiles this blog post gave me, Garth.

Love,
Vive

Garth Hamilton said...

Yep, those were good times last month. Banks Lake was the setting, and the main ingredient was our loving family!

Anonymous said...

Hi Garth,
My name is Toni and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Banks Lake to share on our site and I came across your awesome family-fun post...If you're open to it I would like to feature your blog. Please shoot me an email at toni(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
-Toni