Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hold Me Up: A prayer in the face of failure

2/15/14 Unrelated update: The long awaited post about Levi's birth was uploaded today, his one month birthday!  Kathy still needs to approve my pics before it is made public, though.  Check back early next week when I re-release it with exclusive photos from Levi's delivery!


Like several of these types of posts, this one will most likely be deleted soon. Or maybe not. Most of my overly personal, controversial, or overtly spiritual entries are often either banished to my other, limited-audience blog or featured on the other websites that I contribute to.

I'm only sharing this song, "Hold Me Up," on my mainstream blog tonight because perhaps there is someone out there who needs to hear these words as much as I do. As I played a CD from country/pop group 33 Miles at the beginning of our E.P.I.C. student ministry meeting tonight, I didn't realize how much this prayer would speak to me until that very moment:





Our desperate dependence on God's strength is only magnified in those times when we feel like we've screwed everything up. Sometimes that's how I feel.  Okay, often that's how I feel.

As I shared in my teaching tonight, many of us feel inadequate at some point to sufficiently love and meet the needs of others.  But 1 John 4:19 says, "We love because He first loved us."  I understand this Scripture to be encouragement that it's not our own flawed, limited, and occasionally self-serving love that we are capable of showing... it's GOD'S perfect love that we are able to share with others.

So our miraculous capacity to love only exists because we have ourselves received God's love! And I'd rather share God's amazing love than Garth's love, it's cheap knock-off, any day.


The photos and timeline of our baby boy Levi's birth will be featured here this weekend on Garth's Blog.  He turned 4 weeks old yesterday, and Saturday is Levi's one month birthday!

No comments: