Thursday, November 24, 2011

Give Thanks

It’s easy to give thanks when you have so much. In my prayer life this week, I’ve been trying to live out the Apostle Paul’s instructions to “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). Joy comes easily to me, as does regular prayer and giving thanks. Here is a visual of what has been bringing me joy recently:
DSC_0572DSC_0583
When Paul wrote the words above to the Thessalonians, he had yet to be pushed to the brutal limits that would test his positive attitude. Those days would come, but Paul had already given himself some guidelines for keeping his joyful, prayerful, and thankful attitude, regardless of the circumstances.

I can relate. Being blessed with such a good life so far, learning to “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances” seems as basic as studying 3rd grade math. It’s not that my life is perfect. There are quite a few things that I wish I could change. However, I am instinctually grateful and choose to give thanks for…

a loving and supportive wife Kathy, a nearly 2 ½ month old beautiful baby daughter Lena, an amazing immediate and extended family, my middle school and high school students, a caring church family, encouraging friends, the opportunity to serve in ministry, various jobs that help me pay the bills and travel the world, a nice house, a comfortable lifestyle with all the “toys” that come along with it, and most significantly a Savior who loves each of us enough to give up His life for us. The list goes on and on. And I don’t deserve any of these things.

DSC_0589 It’s easy to give thanks when you have so much. Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: