Thursday, March 13, 2014

The birth of Levi, Pt. 3: Lena meets Levi!! (with video)

Posted from Belfast, Northern Ireland this morning:

Part 3 of this story actually happened on January 16 in Beaverton, Oregon.


Loading our newborn son Levi into the car at Providence St. Vincent hospital



The time had finally come. After three days in the hospital, our two day old Levi was finally ready to come home with Daddy and Mommy.

As mentioned previously in The birth of Levi, Pt. 2: Levi's first two days (link), the moment when our nearly 2 1/2 year old Lena would meet her newborn brother Levi was one of the most anticipated moments of my entire life. I wanted everything to be perfect. As I drove Kathy and Levi home from the hospital, I asked Kathy to phone her parents at our house to make sure Lena would be ready.

My heart lept into my throat as we pulled into our driveway. I gently set down Levi's car seat on the ground, and Kathy approached the door.



Anticipation...



Tom and Lora opened our storm door so little Lena could step down into the sidewalk. I fired up my Galaxy Note's video camera and held my breath.


My lack of technical expertise is preventing me from successfully uploading the clip here to Garth's Blog.  But the photos that follow are still shots from that priceless video:



Lena gets a first glimpse at her baby brother, Levi.  After months of buildup, is this what she was expecting?



Lena goes in for the first kiss.  It's an air ball.



Inside the house:  Lena's arms involuntarily pop up at the sight of Levi, in anticipation of holding her new baby brother.



The first sister-brother kiss!!



And finally, here is the first ever photo of our whole family together:

Introducing the newly expanded Hamilton clan!  Lena is happier than she looks.


So let's end on an even happier note.  My video upload above may have failed, but anyone who missed the Vine that I tweeted on January 16 is in for a treat.  Here's a 7 second video clip of Lena trying to say baby Levi's name, while holding him in her lap:



 Click in the upper right corner of this Vine video for audio of Lena trying to say, "Levi"!


This was, without exaggeration, one of the greatest days of my life.  Our family is complete.  Lena and Levi are perfect together!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Garth, you have a beautiful family! Hope you got home safe!

-Lucy & Michael

Garth Hamilton said...

Thanks you guys! Loved exploring the Northern Ireland countryside with you. Too bad we had to split up. Kathy and are gonna get loud in Oregon tonight, but I'm jealous that I couldn't stay longer to celebrate St. Paddy's Day in Dublin.

I'll be posting some pics of you two soon! Miss you already!